It’s a new year, and its time to get back into the swing of things. Yes this week officially marks when everyone gets into business model and puts their resolutions and business goals into action. Like most businesses its time to get rid of the turkey hangover, and get back to the business routine and make some money. I was surprised to start getting my calendar fill up with requests, events, client meetings and plans just after Christmas. This led me to strategize and map out my marketing calendar early.
The benefits of creating a planned calendar
A marketing business calendar can be defined as the order of events that define your business mapped with the purpose of proper planning. There are various other definitions for a marketing calendar but to me there are three words that ring to mind:
- The personal events that make your life
- The business calendar of events that shape your business
- The events that highlight your marketing schedule
- Business meetings, workshops or conferences you want to attend
- Meet ups or networking events for promoting your business
- Potential speaking opportunities
- Trade fairs, expo’s and conventions
- Prospect meeting’s
- Content strategy and blogging calendar
It is important to start mapping out such business events or pencil in slots when you think some of these events will take place in the first, second, third or fourth quarter. This is when you look at the goals you have set for your business and integrate it into your marketing calendar…This morning I mapped out speaking events, meet ups, workshops and mastermind sessions I am involved in 2013… This way I do not double book or push too many overwhelming things all jammed in one week.
The next steps is to evaluate all the events that happen in the year, Halloween, valentines, christmas, mother’s day and determine your marketing calendar if you’re a location-based business. If you are an online marketer you determine your promotions cycle and determine the type of promotions you want to run… A business colleague’s wife runs a hair salon… At this time she could be mapping out hair promo’s for women who participate in dine out Vancouver early January, mens discount hair cuts around super-bowl sunday in early feb or valentines day promotions not to mention mothers day around the corner… The list is endless
The secret sauce that few apply!
At this point most people either give up or are done with their calendar… My secret sauce is as follows:
- Action Plan
- Travel blogs to book my vacation
- Sporting calendars to book time off for my must see games or recorded PVR
- Family calendars to avoid being that douche bag that forgets to buy a birthday gift on time
- Stat day calendar to remember to take time off and player harder
- Events in Vancouver blogs
- Looked at last years calendar of events that I recorded to plan better this year
- Consulted friends and business colleagues calendars to review their plans
- My accountant and financial planners
- Conference, Seminar and marketing events calendar that I subscribe to
- Meet up, email subscribed lists and global events
The list is endless, but you get the picture! Have you started to map out your calendar?