In the past two years I have seen strong evidence that we are moving towards a digital era where there is more transparency, context and brand attraction. In fact I would be bold enough to say that marketing has morphed into digital story telling. Here is my take on a few outdated marketing techniques.
- Pitch Marketing and social broadcasting
- Cold calling unless it has a form of inbound marketing
- Scheduled social media management
- Phone book marketing unless it is a digital directory
- Old school sales copy that focuses on wealth acquisition or promises of grandeur
- The snake oil skin sales person approach or the used car sales person approach
- Sales on a schedule and a calendar, buying signals occur 24/7
- Spam Marketing through buying of list marketing
- Repetitive email marketing campaigns
- Direct Marketing of unpersonalized or warm list acquisition
While some of these strategies do still have some conversions, the numbers have been dropping significantly over the years.