The problem with a bad pitch is that it leaves a lasting impression. I know this from years of experience selling a variety of difference products. While its important to have a sales process, its now even more essential not to repel your audience. When people are put off by your sales approach they usually tend to avoid you like the plague. It hurts your credibility when they warn others of you.
Since I started networking I have been exposed to a ton of brutal sales pitches. The most important lesson I can teach people is to avoid going for the sales pitch on the first meeting. Would you talk about moving in with someone on the first date? Would the first thing out of your mouth on an interview be a question on the wages? There has to be a transition time where people get to know who you are and what you stand for. Some people might call it sales “foreplay” but this really falls under the branches of attraction marketing.
While some might make fun of my terminologies on push or pull marketing, we really are experiencing a change in direction where direct sales pitches only work when people already are aware of your brand. Having said this, at some point there has to be a call to action. Most people need direction on what you need them to do only after you have made an emotional connection.
Here are some lessons on how to improve one’s pitch
- Dont assume everyone needs your product
- Dont go for the pitch as a conversation opener
- Dont let your sales approach be the only thing you talk about all day
- Dont post multiple links of your sales platforms across your distribution funnel
- Focus on content and build a value proposition
- Dont sound like a used car sales person
- Dont sell the dream, focus on the needs
- Prospect the needs of your leads funnel
- Identify needs and look for buying signals before you pitch
- Be subtle on your sales approach
- Avoid becoming a sales pest
- Dont stalk people online across social platforms
- Dont invite people to events without identifying interest
What tips would you recommend to improve one’s sales pitch?